Friday, February 25, 2011

My Name

      My American name was given to me in the first grade. My legal name is JinCan Lin, but when I went to first grade my parents gave me the name Tony so that my friends could pronounce it. I remember them telling me that since I was lazy and didn't want to do a lot, they named me Tony, which sounds like like dragging someone in Chinese. My Chinese name means golden happy in Chinese. It looks like this 林金灿. My parents named me that because they wanted me to be very positive and be successful when I grew up. My mom also told me that her sister came up with the name, and the day that I was born was the day my aunt and uncle had their anniversary.
      I have a couple on nicknames. Some include Tony baloney pizza macaroni, "bruh", or toe knee. These were some of the names people called me throughout my life other that Tony. Someone in middle school started calling me Tony baloney pizza macaroni because he was bored and started making up nicknames for everyone. He obviously had way too much time on his hands. Some of my friends got creative and pointed to their toe, then knee and said toe knee every time they saw me. They obviously had too much time on their hands too. "Bruh" isn't really a nickname, but I get called that at least 102 times a day. Its very annoying. The funniest one was Tony Montana. First of all, I really don't even know who this is. Many people called me this, and my reply would be who the F*** is Tony Montana! I even gave myself a nickname. Its Tony, and thats what I liked to be called.
      One thing I like about my name is that not many people have it. I don't know about other schools, but in Alameda theres only one other person with the name Tony. Sure its not as unique as Lhadzhe, but it's still pretty awesome. Another thing that is unique about me is that I don't have a middle name. Some people think that JinCan is two words and the can is my middle name, but its really just one word. So theres how I got my name. Pretty awesome huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment