Friday, March 25, 2011

Esperanza's Future

      The future holds many things, some of which are success. Hovever, in The House on Mango Street, Esperanza leaves her home on Mango street hoping to return one day to "come back" for the ones she "left behind". I think that Esperanza is leaving so she can go get an education to better prepare herself so that she can help the people she left behind on Mango Street.
      I think Esperanza's future holds success in education. Esperanza is going to go to school to get educated and then come back for the friends and family she left on Mango Street. This is exemplified when she says, "One day I will pack my bags of books and paper. One day I will say goodbye to Mango... They will not know I have gone away to come back. For the ones I left behind. For the ones who cannot out." (Cisneros p.110). Esperanza is leaving because she does not belong there. She is going to do this so that one day in the future she can come back and help the people who don't have the ability to leave. Most of Esperanza's neighbors probably have never been outside of Mango Street and lived there their whole life. Unlike her neighbors, Esperanza has moved around a couple of times so she knows places to go such as schools outside of Mango Street. Getting an education is the best decision Esperanza has made for herself.
      Esperanza has plans for her future. Esperanza has never really belonged to Mango Street, this is shown when she says, "No, this isn't my house I say and shake my head as if shaking could undo the year I've lived here. I don't belong" (Cisneros, p106) Throughout the story Esperanza kept saying that she did not belong to Mango Street. Esperanza feels like she doesn't belong because the people there are so different from her. I think that Esperanza is saying that she belongs to a place where she can start her own life and make decisions for herself. This is why Esperanza is going to go to school. I predict that Esperanza plans to go to school, get a job, buy her own house, live there for a while and relax, then come back for the friends and family she left behind. For example, Esperanza says,
 "Not a flat. Not an apartment in back. Not a man's house. Not a daddy's. A house all to my own. With my porch and my pillow, my pretty purple petunias. My books and my stories. My two shoes waiting beside the bed. Nobody to shake a stick at. Nobody's garbage to pick up after. Only a house quiet as snow, a space for myself to go, clean as paper before the poem. (Cisneros p108)
Esperanza wants her own house, with her own rules and her own things. I think that this is a goal Esperanza set up for herself. She is doing this because when she leaves Mango Street she has an incentive for going to school. Esperanza going to get educated and get a degree so she can get a job. Once she gets a job she is going to work hard. After a couple of years Esperanza is going to buy a new house, a house of her own. After that she is going to relax a bit. Finally after she accomplishes all of that, she is going to go back to Mango Street and help the people she left behind. Esperanza is very determined to succeed, and that determination is going to fuel her for the upcoming years in her life.
      The future is currently unpredictable, but I predict that Esperanza's future holds lots of hardships and success. Esperanza is planning to leave Mango Street to get education then eventually buy a new house. After she succeeds in getting all of these she will finally "come back" for the ones she "left behind" on Mango Street. Esperanza's need to leave Mango Street will be the spark that will eventually light up success.

No comments:

Post a Comment